What is an estate?
Contact a Iowa estate planning and probate lawyer representing clients in Cedar Rapids, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation.
Your estate is the total of all property you own or control. Even if you do not own the property in your name, you can possess an ownership interest through a trust, partnership, or joint ownership. Any property or money which becomes available upon death, such as a life insurance payment, is also part of your estate.
Typical portions of an estate include:
- Real estate and buildings.
- Personal property including cash, furniture, vehicles, stocks, art, etc.
- Life insurance and other financial instruments.
- Business interests or partnerships.
- Claims, including personal injury claims.